John Ellingsworth | www.sideshow-circusmagazine.com
“It’s difficult for a circus artist to see a lot of work.
If you’re a writer, then a big part of the way you learn to write is by reading. If you’re a composer, you listen to music. Visual artists go to exhibitions, and architects see design everywhere. In all these artforms there is a ready – in fact inexhaustible – access to the work of others. Circus artists have fewer opportunities. They spend more time and effort on their own training relative to time spent watching the work of others and learning through observation and reflection.
Deconstructing Circus is a six-month project that takes a small step toward addressing this problem by publishing videos of 30 scenes from 30 contemporary circus productions. Each video will be accompanied by an interview with the production’s artist(s) or director that deconstructs the structure, dramaturgy and thematic content of the scene.”
Check out John’s website for some amazing interviews with some of Europes most interesting contemporary Circus artists as well our own home grown Skye Gellmann and Naomi Francis.
- Skye Gellmann & Naomi Francis on Mothlight
- Jay Gilligan on Bevis
- Antoine Rigot on Le Bal des Intouchables
- Camille Decourtye and Blaï Mateu on Le Sort du Dedans
- Jeanne Mordoj on Eloge du poil
- Marie-Andrée Robitaille on the Gynoïdes Project Beta Test V
- Bernard Kudlak on L’Atelier du Peintre
- Sverre Waage on Amber
- Veronika Riedlbauchová on Riverside
- Xavier Erra on Aaart!
- Rostislav Novák on Risk
- Los Excéntricos on The Singer
- Aurélien Bory on Sans Objet
- Ockham’s Razor on Not Until We Are Lost
- Sean Gandini on Smashed
- Olle Strandberg on Ballroom House
- Anna Pascual, Adrià Montaña & Wanja Kahlert on Acrometria
- more to come…
DOWNLOAD A COPY OF Deconstructing Circus…
‘Deconstructing Circus’ an interview series with 20 Contemporary Circus Artists and Directors. and which features information on Australia’s very own: Sky Gellman and his project Mothlight