CALLS FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Vulcana Women’s Circus is offering an exciting opportunity for women to participate in creating a new piece of circus theatre Small Change. This is an opportunity to turn your circus skills into performance with the help of highly experienced theatre makers from Vulcana. It will involve creative development, devising, and rehearsal, and culminate in a public performance season in a specially constructed venue outside the Brisbane Powerhouse in late October.
Small Change will investigate the rich history of women in the workplace, from the battles of access to equal pay for equal work, access to the broadest range of work opportunities, issues of motherhood and the career work/life balance, the glass ceiling, to women’s unpaid work and the largely hidden problem of stolen wages for Indigenous workers.
The performance will make use of the wall, stage and sky to create powerful images of sewing, cleaning, folding, dictating, typing, helping, minding, teaching, climbing, balancing, dancing, knitting, leading, computing, building, fighting, struggling, winning!
Vulcana performers will share the process and the stage with other older women invited into the process to exchange ideas and experience and perspectives. Circus skills will be mixed with other art forms and together the performance group will be supported to discover what ‘work’ means to them and how we can create strong images to convey our ideas.
Small Change will be a meeting of circus, movement, dance, spoken work, theatre, and sound with live video creating intimate spaces for close ups, alternative perspectives, or quiet story telling.
The project will consist of 3 major elements that participants must be able to commit to:
- Devising and rehearsal from the end of June – early October. These times will be on Sunday afternoons except where they clash with Vulcana’s cabarets in which case they will be in the mornings.
- All participants will be asked to come to Stories of Stolen Wages, a conversation with members of the Stolen Wages working group, to learn about this history as part of the project, at The Qld State Library, 13 July 2 – 3.30pm as part of Black History Month.
- The public season involving final rehearsals, technical rehearsal , dress rehearsal and 3 public performances in the last weeks of October. (These dates are still to be confirmed by the Powerhouse).
There will be an information session for anyone with questions in the Studio on Sunday 4 May 1 – 2pm
Small Change aims to support development and performance opportunities for:
- Newcomers to performance
- Women at all levels of experience enrolled in Vulcana’s workshop program
- Emerging performers
There will be a maximum number of women able to participate in the project and Vulcana will aim to ensure an appropriate balance of newcomers through to experienced participants have access to Vulcana’s performance projects.
Requirements for Expression of Interest
- Participants must be able to commit to all parts of the project.
- Participants must have attended a minimum of 2 terms of Vulcana’s circus workshops.
- Participants must be currently attending or planning to attend terms of workshops over the course of the project.
- Write a short paragraph explaining why you would like to be involved in the project and state your availability.
The deadline for expressions of interest is Sunday 18 May to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions please contact Celia White, Vulcana’s Artistic Director.