Head of Circus Training
Company Overview – Flipside Circus
Flipside Circus is a national leader in youth arts empowering children and young people through circus. It adopts a child-centred approach to foster a creative, fun, non-competitive and safe environment for participants aged 18 months to 18 years.
The organisation aims to provide training and skills development, community partnerships, creative pathways and high quality performances. It is driven by its values to take risks, to show off, to trust, to dream and aspire, to work hard, and to laugh.
Flipside Circus is located in a 1540 square metre leased training centre in Brisbane with an extensive array of circus equipment including sprung floor, trampoline, aerials, swinging trapeze, cradle etc. This space provides a platform for the continued growth of Flipside’s programs and a viable opportunity to maintain the organisation’s rigorous and self-sustainable business approach.
Flipside Circus runs classes every day of the week and has two fulltime circus trainers, four permanent part time circus trainers and fifteen casual circus trainers.
Function of the Position
This role is an extremely important position within Flipside as you will lead a team of circus trainers who are passionate, dedicated and committed to developing the next generation of circus artists.
You will understand the importance of ensuring students build technique, build circus skills, develop strength and flexibility. You will work hard to strengthen, oversee and teach across the whole Flipside Circus class program.
The Flipside Circus Performance program has an enviable reputation of being a highly skilled and dedicated group of young people. The Head Trainer will personally lead this training and work to develop programs that challenge and extend the range of skills taught according to the students interest and skills.
Daily Responsibilities include
- Working closely with the Flipside Circus Creative Director to ensure training requirements are met for upcoming shows and performances.
- Organise regular trainers meetings.
- Provide Master classes and professional development opportunities for the team of Flipside Circus trainers.
- Development and growth of the Performance circus program within the Flipside Circus class structure.
- Support of the in-house performance opportunities for Performance students and their families.
- Opportunities to travel with the troupe as required
The duties and responsibilities of the Head Trainer will fall under the following areas. To be selected for this role you’ll need to have experience and demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- Extremely high level of circus skills preferable in tumble, acrobatics, adagio, trampoline.
- A connection to the Australian circus industry and its environment.
- A passion for the youth circus sector.
Community Engagement & Community Development
- Be a team player keen to work with a small committed team of staff.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Great communication skills including conflict resolution, written and oral communication
- An understanding of the Not-For Profit- Sector and community arts sector
Key Responsibilities – Coordination/Supervision
- Plan and write the skills development for the Performance program
- Meet with and brief key staff on project requirements.
- Foster an active team environment
- Raise the profile, awareness and understanding of the enormous benefits circus arts can make to young people.
- Develop relationships with the wider circus community with a local and national perspective.
Project Identification & Development
- Identify areas for improved service delivery and growth of the Flipside Circus class program.
- Develop an action plan in conjunction with the Strategic Operations Manager (and approved by the Board) for development of future projects and training and performance opportunities.
Some evening and weekend work will be required; it is understood that working hours are flexible but determined in consultation with the Administration Manager.
Flipside Circus is a not-for-profit organisation which is a Charitable Institution, and as such is able to offer a benefits package to its employees.
Initial contract is for 12 months with three-month probationary term.
Some evening and weekend work will be required; it is understood that working hours are flexible but determined in consultation with the Administration Manager. A manual driver’s license is required.
REPORTS TO: Strategic Operations Manager
This is a full time position that attracts 9.25% superannuation, holiday and sick leave entitlements
RELATIONSHIPS WITH CEO
Sponsors and donors
QUALIFICATIONS: Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Circus Arts would be highly regarded however it is envisaged that the successful applicant will be a highly regarded and passionate circus artist who understands the discipline, energy and organisational requirements required when working with highly skilled young performers who attend school.
As this position involves contact with children and young people the applicant must be in possession of or obtain, prior to commencement of duties, a Suitability (Blue) Card issued in accordance with the requirements of the Commission for Children and Young People Act 2000 (Qld) and the Commission for Children and Young People Regulations 2000 (Qld).
Applications to be sent to Bernard Yu Strategic Operations Manager email@example.com by 5pm Friday 5th September 2014.